Friday, November 2, 2012

Jambalaya

Several people have asked me for recipes or asked that I post healthy recipe ideas. In response, I am adding this separate page to my blog as a resource for you and your family. Let's make it everyone's FIT recipe box! I will periodically put healthy snack and meal recipes on here and if you have something that you've tried and liked at your house, email it to me and I will post it!

Today's recipe: Jambalaya It's a fave recipe in my house! It's hard to screw up on jambalaya. There aren't a lot of exact measurements. You sort of dump and taste and "eyeball" the amounts. It's a good, healthy comfort food for a cold day! Use a big pot!

  • 2 lbs Italian ground turkey sausage (Honeysuckle or JennyO make this). Crumble and Saute.
  • Add 2 cups bell pepper, 2 cups onion, 2 cups celery. (Frozen or fresh work) Brown with the sausage and skim off any grease.
  • Season to taste with garlic (minced or powder), Tony Chacherie seasoning, tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce
  • Add 1-2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
  • Add low sodium chicken broth to cover (about 2" about meat/seasoning mix) 6-8 cups approx.
  • Cover and simmer a few minutes
  • Add 1-3 cups of any meat or shell fish you desire: shrimp, craw fish, turkey, chicken, etc.
  • Cover and simmer some more!
  • Add 6 cups brown rice
  • Cover and cook on med-high for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Like a said, this is like a dumping ground for your favorite meats and veggies. You can add onion, okra, other veggies. Get creative and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment